In AngularJS we can have one or more directives communicate with each other. This
gives us an ability to create web components (hello AngularJS 2.0) that are built
from multiple directives. In order to for a directive A to access the API methods
defined in a controller of a directive B, the latter needs to define the
property with a value set to the name of directive A and specify how the search
should be performed (in my example, I prefix directive name with
^^, so the
search for controlelr is done on the parent DOM elements only). The compilation
of directive B will fail if directive A controller cannot be found in the "search path".
A few months ago, I finally had a chance to get my hands on the so-much-talked-about AngularJS framework and I really digged it. In fact, I like it so much that I am 100% sure this framework will stay ahead of others for a long time. Well, in our world this means for at least another year or two.Read the entire post...
RailsAdmin is a very nice simple gem
that allows you to manage data in models via a simple to use GUI. By default, it
comes without any authentication enabled, so anyone can access the
It does allow you to integrate with popular authentication frameworks, though,
like devise and CanCan, however, I find it to be an overkill in small simple
projects. In case of the latter, I simply opt in for basic authentication over
Over time, your rails models go from being a super model to being fat and eventually end up obese waiting any time for a heart attack to choke your app. When refactoring such models, I really like and follow the approach described by Code Climate in 7 Patterns to Refactor Fat ActiveRecord Models.Read the entire post...
When we generate a new Rails project, it spits out at us a nice well thought-out folder structure
with a particular place for each code component should go to. App code goes into
/config, log files int
/log and so forth. We love it and it works great
until you come across a situation when you've got other files that you also need to
associate with the project, but your generated rails app doesn't seem to have a folder for.
In my ongoing quest of porting apps from Windows to Mac OS X environment, I had to install Tomcat's mod_jk connector to proxy requests from Apache to JBoss application server. This is not my favorite setup, of course, but rather a legacy environment for one of the clients. Everything was going smoothly until mod_jk compilation part. After doing some research and reading some blogs, here is these are the steps that finally worked for me:Read the entire post...
Just moved from MySQL to PostgreSQL for the new rails apps. I think it is time I try something new after being so faithful to MySQL DB for the past X years. My first PostgreSQL install didn't go as smooth as I expected, but wasn't too bad. Here is a summary of the installation steps that worked for me (assuming you are using the awesome Homebrew package manager).Read the entire post...
You've just upgraded to Ruby 2.1 and Ruby is hitting you back with this error?Read the entire post...
So, you've finally found some free time to replace your default Rails console with Pry
and now you want to see nice Hirb formatted output
instead of the default IRB one? I hear you. To achieve that just add the following lines to your local
If you don't mind getting your hands on "HTML-like" type of code and looking around for a way to launch a simple blog website paired with free hosting, then Jekyll should definitely be on your evaluation list. It's open-source, text based and follows baking CMS principle by generating a static site from pre-written markup files. Pair it with free hosting from GitHub Pages, comments from Disqus and you have yourself a very flexible blogging platform without required dependencies on a database and third party module/plugins.Read the entire post...
My livereload was working fine until I've added the better_errors gem. Then, each time when an error page was shown by better_errors, I had to manually hit Command+R to reload that page in order to see the changes I've made. Needless to say, this was quite inconvenient in the development.Read the entire post...